Help Starts Here

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Goldberg & Weigand, LLP
Free Consultation 508.775.9099

Cape Cod Personal Injury Blog

Can I sue retail establishments for injuries?

The answer is "yes." If you suffer an injury while shopping or receiving retail services, you are protected by laws requiring retailers to ensure anyone in, or on, their premises is safe from harm. If you are injured in a retail establishment, the property owner and/or manager may be liable.

However, you must prove that the store owner or manager was negligent in keeping their location safe. You must have evidence showing that the owner/manager was aware of the issue causing your accident and did not address it or warn visitors of the hazard.

What types of stores can I hold liable?

In addition to grocery stores, discount stores and department stores, there are many other kinds of retail establishments. Retail establishments are defined as any location that offers a finished product or service. By this definition, places such as salons, pharmacies, auto repair shops and restaurants are also retail establishments.

Common reasons for accidents

Accidents and injuries at retail establishments often occur for reasons such as:

  • Poorly maintained display racks or improperly stocked shelves
  • Items that are out of reach
  • Falling objects
  • Floors that aren't well maintained
  • Shopping carts tipping over
  • Icy or snow-covered parking lots
  • Dangerous overcrowding at special events or Black Friday sales

While some accidents cause only minor injuries, serious injuries can and do occur. People may suffer back or neck injuries, broken bones or head trauma. Although it isn't as common, wrongful death can occur in retail accidents.

Seeking legal counsel

If you suffer an injury in a retail establishment and need compensation for your injuries, it's best to document everything regarding the event that caused them. Contact a personal injury attorney for information about whether you may have a case and how to proceed.

Suing a retail establishment is possible, but negligence laws are difficult to maneuver on your own. Seek legal counsel if you have any questions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Help Starts Here
Back To Top

Hyannis Office
250 Barnstable Road
Hyannis, MA 02601

Phone: 508-775-9099
Phone: 800-439-5252
Fax: 508-778-6001
Hyannis Law Office Map

New Bedford Office
460 County Street
New Bedford, MA 02740

Phone: 508-961-2266

Boston Office
197 Portland Street
5th Floor
Boston, MA 02114

Phone: 617-227-5066

Please direct all correspondence to the Hyannis Office.